Last update February 8th, 2023
Use of our service
1. A. Eligibility
you may use the service only if you can form a binding contract with The Syllabus, and only in compliance with this agreement and all applicable local, state, national, and international laws, rules and regulations. Any use or access to the service by anyone under 13 is strictly prohibited and in violation of this agreement. The service is not available to any users previously removed from the service by The Syllabus.
1. B. The syllabus service.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement, you are hereby granted a non-exclusive, limited, non-transferable, freely revocable license to use the service as permitted by the features of the service. The syllabus reserves all rights not expressly granted herein in the service and the The Syllabus content (as defined below). The Syllabus may terminate this license at any time for any reason or no reason.
1. C. The Syllabus accounts
Your The Syllabus account gives you access to the services and functionality that we may establish and maintain from time to time and in our sole discretion. Accounts are for individuals only and sharing accounts with multiple people, including people at the same company is strictly forbidden and will result in losing the account without refund. We may maintain different types of accounts for different types of users. If you open a The Syllabus account on behalf of a company, company, or other entity, then (a) you includes you and that entity, and (b) you represent and warrant that you are an authorised representative of the entity with the authority to bind the entity to this agreement, and that you agree to this agreement on the entity's behalf.
When creating your account, you must provide accurate and complete information. You are solely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account, and you must keep your account password secure. We encourage you to use strong passwords (passwords that use a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols) with your account. You must notify The Syllabus immediately of any breach of security or unauthorised use of your account. The Syllabus will not be liable for any losses caused by any unauthorised use of your account.
You may control your user profile and how you interact with the service by changing the settings in your settings page. By providing The Syllabus your email address you consent to our using the email address to send you service-related notices, including any notices required by law, in lieu of communication by postal mail. We may also use your email address to send you other messages, such as changes to features of the service and special offers. If you do not want to receive such email messages, you may opt out or change your preferences in your settings page. Opting out may prevent you from receiving email messages regarding updates, improvements, or offers.
1. D. Service rules
You agree not to engage in any of the following prohibited activities: (i) copying, distributing, or disclosing any part of the service in any medium, including without limitation by any automated or non-automated scraping; (ii) using any automated system, including without limitation robots, spiders, offline readers, etc. , to access the service in a manner that sends more request messages to the The Syllabus servers than a human can reasonably produce in the same period of time by using a conventional on-line web browser (iii) transmitting spam, chain letters, or other unsolicited email; (iv) attempting to interfere with, compromise the system integrity or security or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the service; (v) taking any action that imposes, or may impose at our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; (vi) uploading invalid data, viruses, worms, or other software agents through the service; (vii) collecting or harvesting any personally identifiable information, including account names, from the service; (viii) using the service for any commercial solicitation purposes; (ix) impersonating another person or otherwise misrepresenting your affiliation with a person or entity, conducting fraud, hiding or attempting to hide your identity; (x) interfering with the proper working of the service; (xi) accessing any content on the service through any technology or means other than those provided or authorised by the service; or (xii) bypassing the measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the service, including without limitation features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any content or enforce limitations on use of the service or the content therein; or (xiii) monetising the syllabus content through advertising, subscriptions or other means.
We may, without prior notice, change the service; stop providing the service or features of the service, to you or to users generally; or create usage limits for the service. We may permanently or temporarily terminate or suspend your access to the service without notice and liability for any reason, including if in our sole determination you violate any provision of this agreement, or for no reason. Upon termination for any reason or no reason, you continue to be bound by this agreement.
You are solely responsible for your interactions with other The Syllabus users. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other users. The Syllabus shall have no liability for your interactions with other users, or for any users action or inaction.
Our proprietary rights
The service and all materials therein or transferred thereby, including, without limitation, software, images, text, graphics, illustrations, logos, patents, trademarks, service marks, copyrights and photographs (the The Syllabus content), and all intellectual property rights related thereto, are the exclusive property of The Syllabus and its licensors. Except as explicitly provided herein, nothing in this agreement shall be deemed to create a license in or under any such intellectual property rights, and you agree not to sell, license, rent, modify, distribute, copy, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, edit or create derivative works from any the syllabus content. Use of the The Syllabus content for any purpose not expressly permitted by this agreement is strictly prohibited.
You may choose to or we may invite you to submit comments or ideas about the service, including without limitation about how to improve the service or our products (ideas). By submitting any idea, you agree that your disclosure is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction and will not place The Syllabus under any fiduciary or other obligation, and that we are free to use the idea without any additional compensation to you, and/or to disclose the idea on a non-confidential basis or otherwise to anyone. You further acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, The Syllabus does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to The Syllabus, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than you.
Interacting with the service and user content
3. A. Your user content. Some areas of the service allow users to post content such as profile information, comments, questions, images, and other content or information. Any content or information a user submits, posts, displays, links to, or otherwise makes available on the service is referred to as user content. We claim no ownership rights over user content created or provided by you. The user content you create remains yours; however, by sharing user content through the service, you agree to allow others to view, edit, and/or share your user content in accordance with your settings and this agreement. The syllabus has the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to remove any user content that is shared via the service.
3. B. How we and other users can use your content. By posting or otherwise making available any user content on the service, you hereby expressly grant, and you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant, to the syllabus a royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, edit, translate, distribute, syndicate, publicly perform, publicly display, and make derivative works of all such user content and your name, voice, and/or likeness as contained in your user content, in whole or in part, and in any form, media or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed, for use in connection with the service and the syllabuss (and its successors and affiliates) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the service a non-exclusive license to access your user content through the service, and to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, display and perform such user content as permitted through the functionality of the service and under this agreement.
3. C. What not to post. You agree not to post user content that: (i) may create a risk of harm, loss, physical or mental injury, emotional distress, death, disability, disfigurement, or physical or mental illness to you, to any other person, or to any animal; (ii) may create a risk of any other loss or damage to any person or property; (iii) seeks to harm or exploit children by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable details or otherwise; (iv) may constitute or contribute to a crime or tort; (v) contains any information or content that we deem to be unlawful, harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, defamatory, obscene, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, harassing, humiliating to other people (publicly or otherwise), libelous, threatening, profane, or otherwise objectionable; (vi) contains any information or content that is illegal (including, without limitation, the disclosure of insider information under securities law or of another partys trade secrets); (vii) contains any information or content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships; or (viii) contains any information or content that you know is not correct and current.
3. D. Respecting others' rights. You agree that any user content that you post does not and will not violate third-party rights of any kind, including without limitation any intellectual property rights (as defined below) or rights of privacy. To the extent that your user content contains music, you hereby represent that you are the owner of all the copyright rights, including without limitation the performance, mechanical, and sound recordings rights, with respect to each and every musical composition (including lyrics) and sound recording contained in such user content and have the power to grant the license granted below.
3. E. Definition of intellectual property. For the purposes of this agreement, intellectual property rights means all patent rights, copyright rights, mask work rights, moral rights, rights of publicity, trademark, trade dress and service mark rights, goodwill, trade secret rights and other intellectual property rights as may now exist or hereafter come into existence, and all applications therefore and registrations, renewals and extensions thereof, under the laws of any state, country, territory or other jurisdiction.
3. F. User content representations and warranties. In connection with your user content, you affirm, represent and warrant the following: (i) you have the written consent of each and every identifiable natural person in the user content to use such persons name or likeness in the manner contemplated by the service and this agreement, and each such person has released you from any liability that may arise in relation to such use; (ii) your user content and any use thereof as contemplated by this agreement and the service will not violate any law or infringe any rights of any third party, including but not limited to any intellectual property rights and privacy rights; (iii) the syllabus may exercise the rights to your user content granted under this agreement without liability for payment of any guild fees, residuals, payments, fees, or royalties payable under any collective bargaining agreement or otherwise; and (iv) to the best of your knowledge, all your user content and other information that you provide to us is truthful and accurate.
3. G. Your conduct; disclaimer the syllabus reserves the right, but is not obligated, to to reject and/or remove any user content that the syllabus believes, in its sole discretion, violates these provisions. You understand that publishing your user content on the service is not a substitute for registering it with the u. S. Copyright office, the writers guild of america, or any other rights company. The syllabus takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any user content that you or any other user or third party posts or sends over the service. You shall be solely responsible for your user content and the consequences of posting or publishing it, and you agree that we are only acting as a passive conduit for your online distribution and publication of your user content. You understand and agree that you may be exposed to user content that is inaccurate, objectionable, inappropriate for children, or otherwise unsuited to your purpose, and you agree that the syllabus shall not be liable for any damages you allege to incur as a result of user content.
4. A. Billing policies. The syllabus accepts certain credit cards and will automatically charge your selected credit card for all applicable fees on a monthly or yearly basis, depending on which account you select, until you or we cancel your account. The account fee will be billed when you first choose to open an account and each month or year (depending on which account you select) thereafter unless and until you cancel your membership. Account charges are fully earned upon payment and there are no refunds or credits for partially used months or years, as applicable. If any fee is not paid in a timely manner, or the syllabus is unable to process your transaction using the credit card information provided, the syllabus reserves the right to revoke access to your
the syllabus account
all information that you provide in connection with a monetary transaction through the service must be accurate, complete, and current. You agree to pay all charges incurred by users of your credit card, debit card, or other payment method used in connection with a purchase or transaction or other monetary transaction through the service at the prices in effect when such charges are incurred. You will pay any applicable taxes, if any, relating to any monetary transactions.
If you want to use a different credit card or if there is a change in your credit card validity or expiration date, you may edit your information by accessing your account setting page. If your credit card reaches its expiration date, your continued use of the syllabus constitutes your authorization for us to continue billing that credit card and you remain responsible for any uncollected amounts. It is your responsibility to keep your contact information and payment information current and updated.
4. B. No refunds. You may cancel your the syllabus account at any time; however, there are no refunds for cancellation; if you cancel before the end of your billing cycle you have access to your account for the remainder of the billing cycle. In the event that the syllabus suspends or terminates your account or this agreement for your breach of this agreement, you understand and agree that you shall receive no refund or exchange for any unused time on a subscription, any license or subscription fees for any portion of the service, any content or data associated with your account, or for anything else.
4. C. Payment information; taxes. All information that you provide in connection with a purchase or transaction or other monetary transaction interaction with the service must be accurate, complete, and current. You agree to pay all charges incurred by users of your credit card, debit card, or other payment method used in connection with a purchase or transaction or other monetary transaction interaction with the service at the prices in effect when such charges are incurred. You will pay any applicable taxes, if any, relating to any such purchases, transactions or other monetary transaction interactions.
No professional advice
if the service provides professional information (for example, financial, legal or medical), such information is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice. No action should be taken based upon any information contained in the service. You should seek independent professional advice from a person who is licensed and/or qualified in the applicable area.
the syllabus cares about the integrity and security of your personal information. However, we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will never be able to defeat our security measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. You acknowledge that you provide your personal information at your own risk.
since we respect artist and content owner rights, it is the syllabuss policy to respond to alleged infringement notices that comply with the digital millennium copyright act of 1998 (dmca).
If you believe that your copyrighted work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement and is accessible via the service, please notify the syllabuss copyright agent as set forth in the dmca. For your complaint to be valid under the dmca, you must provide the following information in writing:
an electronic or physical signature of a person authorised to act on behalf of the copyright owner;
identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed,
identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing and where it is located on the service;
information reasonably sufficient to permit the syllabus to contact you, such as your address, telephone number, and, e-mail address;
a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorised by the copyright owner, its agent, or law; and
a statement, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information is accurate, and that you are the copyright owner or are authorised to act on behalf of the owner.
The above information must be submitted to the following dmca agent: support@the-syllabus. Com
under federal law, if you knowingly misrepresent that online material is infringing, you may be subject to criminal prosecution for perjury and civil penalties, including monetary damages, court costs, and attorneys fees.
Please note that this procedure is exclusively for notifying the syllabus and its affiliates that your copyrighted material has been infringed. The preceding requirements are intended to comply with the syllabuss rights and obligations under the dmca, including 17 u. S. C. 512(c), but do not constitute legal advice. It may be advisable to contact an attorney regarding your rights and obligations under the dmca and other applicable laws.
In accordance with the dmca and other applicable law, the syllabus has adopted a policy of terminating, in appropriate circumstances, users who are deemed to be repeat infringers. The syllabus may also at its sole discretion limit access to the service and/or terminate the accounts of any users who infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement.
you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the syllabus and its subsidiaries, agents, licensors, managers, and other affiliated companies, and their employees, contractors, agents, officers and directors, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorneys fees) arising out of or related to: (i) your use of and access to the service, including any data or content transmitted or received by you; (ii) your violation of any term of this agreement, including without limitation your breach of any of the representations and warranties above; (iii) your violation of any third-party right, including without limitation any right of privacy or intellectual property rights; (iv) your violation of any applicable law, rule or regulation; (v) any other information or content that is submitted via your account including without limitation misleading, false or inaccurate information; (vi) negligent or willful misconduct; or (vii) any other partys access and use of the service with your unique username, password or other appropriate security code.
the service is provided on an as is and as available basis. Use of the service is at your own risk. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the service is provided without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from company or through the service will create any warranty not expressly stated herein. Without limiting the foregoing, company, its subsidiaries, its affiliates, and its licensors do not warrant that the content is accurate, reliable or correct; that the service will meet your requirements; that the service will be available at any particular time or location, uninterrupted or secure; that any defects or errors will be corrected; or that the service is free of viruses or other harmful components. Any content downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the service is downloaded at your own risk and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or mobile device or loss of data that results from such download or your use of the service.
Some states do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusions may not apply to you. This agreement gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. The disclaimers and exclusions under this agreement will not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
Limitation of liability
to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall company, its affiliates, agents, directors, employees, suppliers or licensors be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including without limitation damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses, arising out of or relating to the use of, or inability to use, this service. Under no circumstances will company be responsible for any damage, loss or injury resulting from hacking, tampering or other unauthorised access or use of the service or your account or the information contained therein.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, company assumes no liability or responsibility for any (i) errors, mistakes, or inaccuracies of content; (ii) personal injury or property damage, of any nature whatsoever, resulting from your access to or use of our service; (iii) any unauthorised access to or use of our secure servers and/or any and all personal information stored therein; (iv) any interruption or cessation of transmission to or from the service; (v) any bugs, viruses, trojan horses, or the like that may be transmitted to or through our service by any third party; (vi) any errors or omissions in any content or for any loss or damage incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available through the service; and/or (vii) the defamatory, offensive, or illegal conduct of any third party. In no event shall company, its affiliates, agents, directors, employees, suppliers, or licensors be liable to you for any claims, proceedings, liabilities, obligations, damages, losses or costs in an amount exceeding the amount you paid to company hereunder or $100.00, whichever is greater.
This limitation of liability section applies whether the alleged liability is based on contract, tort, negligence, strict liability, or any other basis, even if company has been advised of the possibility of such damage. The foregoing limitation of liability shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law in the applicable jurisdiction.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This agreement gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. The exclusions and limitations of liability under this agreement will not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
The service is, in part, controlled and operated from facilities in the united states. The syllabus makes no representations that the service is appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use the service from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are entirely responsible for compliance with all applicable united states and local laws and regulations, including but not limited to export and import regulations. You may not use the service if you are a resident of a country embargoed by the united states, or are a foreign person or entity blocked or denied by the united states government. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all materials found on the service are solely directed to individuals, companies, or other entities located in the united states.
Governing law and arbitration
13. A. Governing law. You agree that: (i) the service shall be deemed solely based in the united kingdom; and (ii) the service shall be deemed a passive one that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over the syllabus, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than england and wales. This agreement shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of england and wales, without respect to its conflict of laws principles. The parties acknowledge that this agreement evidences a transaction involving interstate commerce. The application of the united nations convention on contracts for the international sale of goods is expressly excluded.
13. B. Arbitration. Read this section carefully because it requires the parties to arbitrate their disputes and limits the manner in which you can seek relief from company. You and the syllabus agree that any dispute, claim, or controversy between you and the syllabus arising in connection with or relating in any way to these agreements or to your relationship with the syllabus as a user of the service (whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory, and whether the claims arise during or after the termination of the agreements) will be determined by mandatory binding individual arbitration. Arbitration is more informal than a lawsuit in court. There is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is limited. There may be more limited discovery than in court. The arbitrator must follow this agreement and can award the same damages and relief as a court (including attorney fees), except that the arbitrator may not award declaratory or injunctive relief benefiting anyone but the parties to the arbitration. This arbitration provision will survive termination of the agreements.
14. A. Assignment. This agreement, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by the syllabus without restriction. Any attempted transfer or assignment in violation hereof shall be null and void.
14. B. Notification procedures and changes to the agreement. The syllabus may provide notifications, whether such notifications are required by law or are for marketing or other business related purposes, to you via email notice, written or hard copy notice, or through posting of such notice on our website, as determined by the syllabus in our sole discretion. The syllabus reserves the right to determine the form and means of providing notifications to our users, provided that you may opt out of certain means of notification as described in this agreement. The syllabus is not responsible for any automatic filtering you or your network provider may apply to email notifications we send to the email address you provide us. The syllabus may, in its sole discretion, modify or update this agreement from time to time, and so you should review this page periodically. When we change the agreement in a material manner, we will update the last modified date at the bottom of this page. Your continued use of the service after any such change constitutes your acceptance of the new terms of service. If you do not agree to any of these terms or any future terms of service, do not use or access (or continue to access) the service.
14. C. Entire agreement/severability. This agreement, together with any amendments and any additional agreements you may enter into with the syllabus in connection with the service, shall constitute the entire agreement between you and the syllabus concerning the service. If any provision of this agreement is deemed invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such provision shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of this agreement, which shall remain in full force and effect, except that in the event of unenforceability of the universal class action/jury trial waiver, the entire arbitration agreement shall be unenforceable.
13. D. No waiver. No waiver of any term of this agreement shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term, and the syllabuss failure to assert any right or provision under this agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
14. E. Government use rights. If the service is licensed to the united states government or any agency thereof, then the service will be deemed to be commercial computer software and commercial computer software documentation, respectively, pursuant to dfar section 227.7202 and far section 12.212, as applicable. Any use, reproduction, release, performance, display or disclosure of the service and any accompanying documentation by the u. S. Government will be governed solely by these terms of service and is prohibited except to the extent expressly permitted by these terms of service.
14. F. Contact. Please contact us at admin@the-syllabus. Com with any questions regarding this agreement.